The “Nazareth Nuns” Convent is an impressive, beautiful building located not far from the Church of Annunciation. Next to the convent, the nuns have also built a school, a nice church and an inn for the pilgrims. The school is used today as a Center for Blind and Deaf Children from the area, and the convent is a religious and social activity center serving the community members and residents of the city. Archeological findings from the first and second century were discovered in the convent area.
The Nazareth Nuns order originates in the nuns who arrived to the city from France in 1855. Those nuns have purchased several stores in the market and started establishing the convent. During the building process, many archeological findings were discovered: A large hall with a big arch above it, catacombs, water pits, mosaics and an ancient church’s altar. The excavations were continued thanks to donations given by the pilgrims and were renewed between 1940 and 1963. One assumption is that this is a Jewish burial site from the Second Temple times, and that later those graves became water pits and perhaps even residency rooms. It could also be that this burial site is much older than the Second Temple times, and was used later.
Locals can tell of the big bed located in the place which was used by the tall French leader Charles de Gaulle every time he came for a visit. The bed is 2.30 long.